- Anatomy. the largest tarsal bone, forming the prominence of the heel.
- Zoology. the corresponding bone in other vertebrates.
Origin of calcaneus
Examples from the Web for calcaneus
Historical Examples of calcaneus
If there is a bony projection from the calcaneus, it should be shaved off with the chisel.
A second diagnostic point is the abnormal position of the calcaneus and scaphoid with relation to the malleoli and astragalus.Surgery, with Special Reference to Podiatry
The tendo-calcaneus is detached from the calcaneus, the bursa dissected out, and the tendon replaced.
- the largest tarsal bone, forming the heel in manNontechnical name: heel bone
- the corresponding bone in other vertebrates
Word Origin for calcaneus
Word Origin and History for calcaneus
from Latin (os) calcaneum "bone of the heel," from calcem (nominative calx (1)) "heel."
- The quadrangular bone at the back of the tarsus, the largest of the tarsal bones.heel bone