- the act or process of capitalizing.
- the authorized or outstanding stocks and bonds of a corporation.
- the total investment of the owner or owners in a business enterprise.
- the total corporate liability.
- the total arrived at after addition of liabilities.
- conversion into stocks or bonds.
- the act of computing the present value of future periodical payments.
Origin of capitalization
Examples from the Web for capitalization
Contemporary Examples of capitalization
The Hitchens commemorated here was a man of the Left (like Orwell, Christopher insisted on the capitalization).The Christopher Hitchens Memorial: Without God, but With Style
April 24, 2012
Given a $50 billion capitalization, News Corp. itself seemed secure.Murdoch Hacking Scandal Could Go Global, Threaten News Corp.’s Core TV Business
March 28, 2012
As late as 1816, Samuel Coleridge had noticed that “we have now a READING PUBLIC,” the capitalization all his.What Is Romanticism?
September 25, 2011
Historical Examples of capitalization
It represents a capitalization which may at once be turned to interest.The Child and the Curriculum
Fifty thousand dollars, the concern's capitalization, was too much to pay.Galusha the Magnificent
Joseph C. Lincoln
Spelling, punctuation and capitalization are as in the original.Diary of Anna Green Winslow
Anna Green Winslow
My son and I will contribute this information as our share in the capitalization of the company.The Cosmic Computer
Henry Beam Piper
The original spelling, hyphenation, and capitalization have been retained.The True Life of Betty Ireland
- the act of capitalizing
- the sum so derived
- accounting the par value of the total share capital issued by a company, including the loan capital and sometimes reserves
- the act of estimating the present value of future payments, earnings, etc
- the act of writing or printing in capital letters
1860, "act of converting (assets) to capital," noun of action from capitalize in the financial sense. Meaning "act of writing or printing in capital letters" is recorded from 1864.