- a half turn executed by a horse and rider.
- Rare. a winding staircase.
- to execute caracoles; wheel.
Origin of caracole
1650–60; < French < Spanish caracol snail, spiral shell or stair, turning movement (of a horse)
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for caracole
The horse of one of these cavaliers made a caracole which brought it nearly upon Alain as he was about to cross.The Parisians, Complete
When she found herself alone, she let her pony prance and caracole under a great pear-tree, and inwardly chafed against Anton.Debit and Credit
- dressage a half turn to the right or left
- a spiral staircase
- dressage to execute a half turn to the right or left
C17: from French, from Spanish caracol snail, spiral staircase, turn