- sold for cash payment and no delivery service.
- operated on such a basis: a cash-and-carry business.
Origin of cash-and-carry
First recorded in 1915–20
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cash-and-carry
In many of the cities and large towns, some credit grocers have adopted what is called the "cash-and-carry plan."Woman's Institute Library of Cookery, Vol. 5
Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences
- sold or operated on a basis of cash payment for merchandise that is not delivered but removed by the purchaser
- a wholesale store, esp for groceries, that operates on this basis
- an operation on a commodities futures market in which spot goods are purchased and sold at a profit on a futures contract
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012