- a ground of legal action; the matter over which a person goes to law.
- a case for judicial decision.
- the end or purpose for which a thing is done or produced.
- Aristotelianism. any of the four things necessary for the movement or the coming into being of a thing, namely a material (material cause), something to act upon it (efficient cause), a form taken by the movement or development (formal cause), and a goal or purpose (final cause).
verb (used with object), caused, caus·ing.
Words nearby cause
Idioms for cause
Origin of cause
OTHER WORDS FROM cause
synonym study for cause
Examples from the Web for caused
Does the sending of the message “justify” the tragedy that caused it?Cover-Ups and Concern Trolls: Actually, It's About Ethics in Suicide Journalism|Arthur Chu|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The Interview, which caused so much controversy, was never intended for release in South Korean cinemas.Propaganda, Protest, and Poisonous Vipers: The Cinema War in Korea|Rich Goldstein|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Her mother made demands about a big ceremony and caused a rift between them.
In 1997, an earthquake in Assisi caused the collapse of the main cathedral and killed ten people.
But others say a still-unidentified man likely fired the round that caused a lethal head wound.Exclusive: Bin Laden ‘Shooter’ Under Investigation for Leaking Secrets|Shane Harris|December 23, 2014|DAILY BEAST
What caused the fear which, at the beginning of their interview, had been so apparent?No Clue|James Hay
He has caused His voice to be heard in this dark and sinful world.The Assembly of God|C. (Charles) H. (Henry) Mackintosh
This caused him to keep very close to the house, as he was not fond of demonstration.Uncle Daniel's Story Of "Tom" Anderson|John McElroy
A moment later she was thankful for the impulse that caused her to wait.The Silent Alarm|Roy J. Snell
All this caused Metchnikoff the deepest anxiety, the more so that he was absolutely incapable of altering the situation.Life of Elie Metchnikoff, 1845-1916|Olga Metchnikoff
British Dictionary definitions for caused
- a ground for legal action; matter giving rise to a lawsuit
- the lawsuit itself
Derived forms of causecausable, adjectivecausability, nouncauseless, adjectivecauser, noun
Word Origin for cause
Idioms and Phrases with caused
In addition to the idioms beginning with cause
- cause a commotion
- cause raised eyebrows
- lost cause