- a kind of ornamental hand stitching in which each stitch forms a loop through the forward end of the next.
- a basic crochet stitch in which yarn is pulled with the crochet hook through a loop on the hook to form a continuous strand of interlocking single loops.
- a machine stitch forming a chain on the underside of the fabric.
Origin of chain stitch
Examples from the Web for chain stitch
Historical Examples of chain stitch
The machine with only one thread on top is called a chain-stitch machine.Clothing and Health
Chain-stitch consists of loops simulating the links of a simple chain.Arts and Crafts Essays
Well, I am thankful that I took off the pattern in chain-stitch.The Loyalists, Vol. 1-3
Long close: long stitches, without any chain-stitch between.
The background is all worked in with silver thread in chain-stitch.English Embroidered Bookbindings
Cyril James Humphries Davenport
- an ornamental looped embroidery stitch resembling the links of a chain
- to sew (something) with this stitch