- of or relating to an enamel piece or enameling technique in which enamel is fused onto the incised or hollowed areas of a metal base.
- an enamel piece made by the champlevé method.
- the technique used to produce champlevé enamels.
Origin of champlevé
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for champleve
Give illustration and requirements of a good design in champleve enamel.
As one of the more common processes, let us consider the application of enamel to copper in the form of champleve enrichment.
- of or relating to a process of enamelling by which grooves are cut into a metal base and filled with enamel colours
- an object enamelled by this process
C19: from champ field (level surface) + levé raised