- the losing of the scent by a dog or pack.
- (in fox hunting) a period in a hunt, following the losing of the scent by the hounds, during which the field rests quietly while the hounds cast to regain the scent.
- to vacate and pay for one's quarters at a hotel.
- to verify or become verified; examine or investigate.
- to fulfill requirements, as by passing a test: The engine checked out and we proceeded on our way.
- to itemize, total the cost of, and collect payment for (a purchase): The supermarket cashier was exhausted from checking out groceries all day long.
- to have the cost added up and pay for merchandise.
- to borrow (an item) by having it listed as one's temporary responsibility: The adding machine was checked out in your name.
- Informal. to depart quickly or abruptly; leave in a hurry.
- Slang. to die.
OTHER WORDS FOR check
OPPOSITES FOR check
VIDEO FOR CHECK
The Word "Check" Has A Very Regal Origin
Asking for checks and filling out forms with checkmarks is boring, so it’s easy to forget that "check" was a word that originated from a game of knights, kings, and queens; basically the stuff Game of Thrones is made of.
Idioms about check
Origin of check1
synonym study for check
OTHER WORDS FROM checkcheck·less, adjective
Words nearby check
Other definitions for check (2 of 2)
Origin of check2
How to use check in a sentence
Same coaches and same teammates, but practices were off campus and often took at least some precautions, like distancing and temperature checks.School Sports Became ‘Clubs’ Amid the Pandemic – Now Two Coaches Are Out|Ashly McGlone|September 17, 2020|Voice of San Diego
It will be writing checks ranging between roughly half a million and $3 million dollars, and it is only planning to raise $40 million — so the checks will be selective.With Goat Capital, Justin Kan and Robin Chan want to keep founding alongside the right teams|Eric Eldon|September 17, 2020|TechCrunch
To do so, check your local government website for OHV laws and regulations or head over to the Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association, which has tons of resources like basic off-road driver courses and tips for minimizing your impact.Three Family-Friendly Adventures to Try This Fall|Outside Editors|September 17, 2020|Outside Online
Votes aren’t just little sheets of paper with boxes you check with a crayon.William Barr is the poster child for politicized law enforcement officials|Philip Bump|September 17, 2020|Washington Post
Ballot designs and rules vary by state, but check that you’ve signed everywhere and sealed all the envelopes as instructed.ProPublica’s Pandemic Guide to Making Sure Your Vote Counts|by Susie Armitage|September 16, 2020|ProPublica
In this cockamamie get-rich scheme, would they all issue an apology if he cut a check?Phylicia Rashad and the Cult of Cosby Truthers|Stereo Williams|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
We try to avoid going away for too long, so we can check back in.Belle & Sebastian Aren’t So Shy Anymore|James Joiner|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
She came to sound check, that was the first time we ever performed it, and it was really cool.Deer Tick's John McCauley on Ten Years in Rock and Roll|James Joiner|January 2, 2015|DAILY BEAST
To judge her acting abilities for yourself, check out her videos on YouTube for “Sex Shooter.”Speed Read: The Juiciest Bits From the History of ‘Purple Rain’|Jennie Yabroff|January 1, 2015|DAILY BEAST
While the desk sergeant ran a background check, he was roughed up by another officer in the lock-up.What Would Happen if I Got in White Cop’s Face?|Goldie Taylor|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
"Very well," said the other, handing him a check for twenty-five dollars as a retainer, and straightway left the office.The Homesteader|Oscar Micheaux
The new Government to preserve public order and check all reprisals against the Spaniards.The Philippine Islands|John Foreman
But in the organization in which we live over-production tends to check itself at once.The Unsolved Riddle of Social Justice|Stephen Leacock
Am I to check the number of rounds in the limbers; on the beaches and in transit during a battle?Gallipoli Diary, Volume I|Ian Hamilton
Scarcely were they bandaged when the news arrived that Augereau's division had received a severe check.Napoleon's Marshals|R. P. Dunn-Pattison
British Dictionary definitions for check
- a person or thing that restrains, halts, etc
- (as modifier)a check line
- a control, esp a rapid or informal one, designed to ensure accuracy, progress, etc
- (as modifier)a check list
- fabric with a pattern of squares or crossed lines
- (as modifier)a check suit
Derived forms of checkcheckable, adjective
Word Origin for check
Other Idioms and Phrases with check
In addition to the idioms beginning with check
- check in
- check into
- check off
- check on
- check out
- check over
- checks and balances
- check up
- blank check
- claim check
- in check
- pick up (the check)
- rain check
- reality check
- rubber check