- a member of a Uralic people living in scattered communities north of Cheboksary and Kazan in European Russia, mainly in the Mari Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic.
- the Finnic language of the Mari.
Origin of Mari
< Russian mári (not declined) < Mari marij Mari, man
Also called Cheremis, Cheremiss.
[cher-uh-mis, -mees, cher-uh-mis, -mees]
Origin of Cheremis
< Russian cheremís, earlier cheremísin, Old Russian (plural) chermisy, probably < Chuvash śarmîs, śarmîś Mari
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cheremiss
(1883–85); works of Smirnov on the Mordva, Cheremiss, etc., Fr.The Races of Man
We hear of a forest-god among the Finns, Lapps and Cheremiss.
- plural -miss or -mis a member of an Ugrian people of the Volga region, esp of the Mari El Republic
- Also called: Mari the language of this people, belonging to the Finno-Ugric family
- another name for Cheremiss
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012