- a person or thing that chops.
- a short ax with a large blade, used for cutting up meat, fish, etc.; butcher's cleaver.
- a prehistoric implement made by striking flakes off one or both sides of a stone, considered the oldest known worked stone tool.
- choppers, Slang. the teeth.
- Informal. a helicopter.
- Slang. a motorcycle.
- a device for interrupting an electric current or a beam of light at regular intervals.
- to travel by helicopter: We choppered into midtown from the airport.
- to travel by motorcycle.
Origin of chopper
Examples from the Web for choppers
Contemporary Examples of choppers
You can hear the choppers descending even if you have never set foot in the country.A Different Kind of Vietnam Story
October 9, 2014
By midday, the Ukrainian government had confirmed that two of its choppers had been downed.Eastern Ukraine Explodes, Russian Invasion Grows More Likely
May 2, 2014
“They have choppers looking for them,” Sheriff Herrera says.Convicts Hunted After Mexican Prison Break Near Border
September 19, 2012
The choppers, which had been sold to Syria by Russia in the early 1990s, had been undergoing a refit in Russia.U.K. Blocks Russian Cargo Shipment to Syria
June 19, 2012
Now they may lie in wait for choppers on rescue missions, says John Barry.The Taliban’s Bait Game
August 12, 2011
Historical Examples of choppers
He went from that work to the place where the choppers were swinging their axes.Two Arrows
William O. Stoddard
As the chips flew into the faces of the choppers they fell dead.Myths & Legends of our New Possessions & Protectorate
Charles M. Skinner
Brigades of choppers were opening roads here and there to deceive.The Conquest
Eva Emery Dye
Soon the woods were alive with choppers, and the trees began to fall.Diary of an Enlisted Man
Lawrence Van Alstyne
It came out of the choppers, and we just caught the edge of it.Little Brother
- mainly British a small hand axe
- a butcher's cleaver
- a person or thing that cuts or chops
- an informal name for a helicopter
- mainly British a slang name for penis
- a device for periodically interrupting an electric current or beam of radiation to produce a pulsed current or beamSee also vibrator (def. 2)
- a type of bicycle or motorcycle with very high handlebars and an elongated saddle
- NZ a child's bicycle
- obsolete, slang, mainly US a sub-machine-gun
1550s, "one who chops," agent noun from chop (v.1). Meaning "meat cleaver" is by 1818. Meaning "helicopter" is from 1951, Korean War military slang (cf. egg-beater); as a type of stripped-down motorcycle (originally prefered by Hell's Angels) from 1965.
- A crudely flaked, unifacial core tool, especially one associated with the Oldowan stone culture of the early Paleolithic Period.