- a past participle of choose.
- selected from several; preferred: my chosen profession.
- Theology. elect(def 9).
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for chosenness
Their chosenness seems self-evident, but rooted in their start as underdogs.Why Tim Tebow Is the Sarah Palin of Football
January 14, 2012
- the past participle of choose
- selected or picked out, esp for some special quality
- the official name for Korea when it was a Japanese province (1910–45)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for chosenness
"the elect, the select," especially those selected by God, c.1200, from past participle of choose (v.). Chosen people for "the Jews" is recorded from 1530s.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper