- a Chinese mixed fruit preserve.
- a relish of chopped mixed pickles in mustard sauce.
Origin of chow-chow
- one of a Chinese breed of medium-sized dogs having a thick black, blue, red, or cream coat and a blue-black tongue.
Origin of chow chow
Examples from the Web for chow-chow
Historical Examples of chow-chow
"Chow-Chow" was not a pickle, but a chicken, and a real funny one, too.
Why, it's like one o' those Chow-chow dogs, I'm blest if it isn't!
When he hears dishes rattle, yells “Chow-chow” for a long time.Studies in Forensic Psychiatry
He led a happy life, with a perch and ring of ebony and silver, the freedom of the house, and chow-chow four times a day.Toto's Merry Winter
Laura E. Richards
And in a few weeks not a rooster in the neighborhood had such a musical, splendid crow as our "Chow-Chow."
- a thick-coated breed of the spitz type of dog with a curled tail and a characteristic blue-black tongue; it came originally from ChinaOften shortened to: chow
- a Chinese preserve of ginger, orange peel, etc in syrup
- a mixed vegetable pickle