- ChristopherSp. Cristóbal ColónIt. Cristoforo Colombo, 1446?–1506, Italian navigator in Spanish service: traditionally considered the discoverer of America 1492.
- a city in and the capital of Ohio, in the central part.
- a city in W Georgia.
- a city in central Indiana.
- a city in E Mississippi.
- a city in E Nebraska.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a city in central Ohio: the state capital. Pop: 728 432 (2003 est)
- a city in W Georgia, on the Chattahoochee River. Pop: 185 702 (2003 est)
- Christopher. Spanish name Cristóbal Colón, Italian name Cristoforo Colombo. 1451–1506, Italian navigator and explorer in the service of Spain, who discovered the New World (1492)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
his name is Latinized from his native Italian Cristoforo Colombo, in Spanish Christobal Colon.
America was discovered accidentally by a great seaman who was looking for something else, and most of the exploration for the next fifty years was done in the hope of getting through or around it. [S.E. Morison, "The Oxford History of the United States," 1965]
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Capital of Ohio.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.