- any chemical group that produces color in a compound, as the azo group −N=N−.
Origin of chromophore
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for chromophoric
Notable differences attend the neutralization of the chromophoric and auxochromic groups.
- a group of atoms in a chemical compound that are responsible for the colour of the compound
- Of or relating to a chromophore.
- Of or relating to microorganisms that produce or carry color.
- A chemical group capable of selective light absorption resulting in coloration of certain organic compounds.color radical
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.