- Anatomy, Zoology. a belt, zone, or girdlelike part.
- Dentistry. basal ridge.
Origin of cingulum
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- anatomy a girdle-like part, such as the ridge round the base of a tooth or the band of fibres connecting parts of the cerebrum
C19: from Latin: belt, from cingere to gird
- Of or relating to a cingulum.
- A structure that has the form of a belt or girdle.
- A well-marked fiber bundle passing longitudinally in the white matter of the cingulate gyrus, composed largely of fibers from the anterior thalamic nucleus to the cingulate and parahippocampal gyri.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.