- surrounded by or as if by a rampart.
- Anatomy. surrounded by a depression or wall-like ridge.
- to surround with or as if with a rampart.
Origin of circumvallate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for circumvallate
The circumvallate papill may also be enlarged, and the fungiform papill are sometimes very prominent and deeply congested.
In many of the fungiform and most of the circumvallate papillæ are peculiar structures called taste buds or taste goblets.A Practical Physiology
Albert F. Blaisdell
- (tr) to surround with a defensive fortification
C19: from Latin circumvallāre, from circum- + vallum rampart
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Surrounded by a ridge or wall-like structure.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.