- the act of rolling or turning around: planetary circumvolution.
- a single complete turn or cycle.
- a winding or folding about something: the circumvolutions of a boa.
- a fold so wound: the circumvolution of a snail shell.
- a winding in a sinuous course; a sinuosity: the circumvolutions of the river.
- a roundabout course or procedure, or an instance of such: The speaker's circumvolutions bored the audience to tears.
Origin of circumvolution
Examples from the Web for circumvolution
Historical Examples of circumvolution
No doubt was possible: the two lobes, the circumvolution of the brain to the minute red lines of the blood-vessels, all was there.The Ancient Cities of the New World
- the act of turning, winding, or folding around a central axis
- a single complete turn, cycle, or fold
- anything winding or sinuous
- a roundabout course or procedure
Word Origin for circumvolution
mid-15c., noun of action from past participle stem of Latin circumvolvere "to revolve through, to roll around" (see circumvolve).