- the administration building of a city government.
- a city administration or government.
- Informal. a bureaucracy or bureaucratic rules and regulations, especially that of a city government: You can't fight city hall.
Origin of city hall
Examples from the Web for city hall
Historical Examples of city hall
The speaker, a boy of fifteen, was sitting on a bench in City-Hall Park.The Telegraph Boy
Horatio Alger, Jr.
The conquering thousands then marched in triumph to the city-hall.Washington and the American Republic, Vol. 3.
Benson J. Lossing
On one side of the cathedral is the city-hall, and on the other, the Presbytire.The Americans as They Are
His nod included the city-hall reporter and the ship-news man.Local Color
Irvin S. Cobb
In the City-hall many were consumed, while others, leaped from the windows to renew the combat below.The Rise of the Dutch Republic, Volume III.(of III) 1574-84
John Lothrop Motley
- the building housing the administrative offices of a city or municipal government
- mainly US and Canadian
- municipal government
- the officials of a municipality collectively
- US informal bureaucracy