- having an advanced or humane culture, society, etc.
- polite; well-bred; refined.
- of or relating to civilized people: The civilized world must fight ignorance.
- easy to manage or control; well organized or ordered: The car is quiet and civilized, even in sharp turns.
Origin of civilized
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- having a high state of culture and social development
- cultured; politea civilized discussion
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1610s, past participle adjective from civilize.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper