- the clearing of a ship at a port.
- Also called clearance papers. the official papers certifying this.
British Dictionary definitions for clearance-papers
- the process or an instance of clearingslum clearance
- (as modifier)a clearance order
- the disposal of merchandise at reduced prices
- (as modifier)a clearance sale
Word Origin and History for clearance-papers
1560s, "action of clearing," from clear (v.) + -ance. Meaning "a clear space" is from 1788. Meaning "approval, permission" (especially to land or take off an aircraft) is from 1944, American English; national security sense recorded from 1948. Clearance sale attested by 1843.