- (of an l-sound) having front-vowel resonance; situated before a vowel in the same syllable.Compare dark (def. 16a).
- (of a speech sound) produced without frication or aspiration.
- to comply with customs and other requirements legally imposed on entering or leaving a port (often followed by in or out).
- to leave port after having complied with such requirements.
- to remove in order to make room.
- to leave; escape: We were warned to clear off before the floods came.
- to disappear; vanish: When the smoke cleared away, we saw that the house was in ruins.
- to remove the contents of: Clear out the closet.
- to remove; take away: Clear out your clothes from the closet.
- to go away, especially quickly or abruptly.
- to drive or force out: The police cleared out the pickets by force.
- to make clear; explain; solve.
- to put in order; tidy up.
- to become better or brighter, as the weather.
OTHER WORDS FOR clear
OPPOSITES FOR clear
Idioms about clear
- absolved of blame or guilt; free: He was suspected of the theft, but evidence put him in the clear.
- en clair.
Origin of clear
synonym study for clear
OTHER WORDS FROM clear
Words nearby clear
How to use clear in a sentence
Even those who have remained free and clear of the virus have had their lives fundamentally disrupted.The NBA’s week of controversies show how hard life is outside of the bubble|Ben Golliver|February 12, 2021|Washington Post
If sites contain words with a high volume, it’s clear that they’re going to get more traffic.A comprehensive guide on using Google Trends for keyword research|Aayush Gupta|February 12, 2021|Search Engine Watch
If Bauer pitches to the level his contract dictates, even for just one year, the Dodgers are clear favorites to repeat as World Series champions.Trevor Bauer, unorthodox star with an unorthodox deal, gets an unorthodox Dodgers intro|Chelsea Janes|February 12, 2021|Washington Post
A clear sign of the times, it was the first instance of the luxury powerhouse partnering with a celebrity, or a woman of color, to launch a brand from scratch.Why Rihanna’s luxury collaboration with LVMH failed|Marc Bain|February 10, 2021|Quartz
Rebecca Hull recently launched a clear mask giveaway through the Independence Center, a nonprofit that advocates for people with disabilities in Colorado Springs.Ford’s next pandemic mission: Clear N95 masks and low-cost air filters|Hannah Denham|February 9, 2021|Washington Post
The story of fluoridation reads like a postmodern fable, and the moral is clear: a scientific discovery might seem like a boon.Anti-Fluoriders Are The OG Anti-Vaxxers|Michael Schulson|July 27, 2016|DAILY BEAST
But the tide was turning on this issue, an email from another constituent made clear.Jeb Bush’s Unseen Anti-Gay Marriage Emails|Jackie Kucinich|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The use of slurs from both characters makes it clear just how “new” the idea of an openly gay son is even in this time.‘Empire’ Review: Hip-Hop Musical Chairs with an Insane Soap Opera Twist|Judnick Mayard|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Instead, straighten your civic backbone and push back in clear conscience.Why We Stand With Charlie Hebdo—And You Should Too|John Avlon|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
He made clear that he fully appreciated what the cops had done.Shot Down During the NYPD Slowdown|Michael Daly|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
It separates into three layers upon standing—a brown deposit, a clear fluid, and a frothy layer.A Manual of Clinical Diagnosis|James Campbell Todd
However this be, it is hard to say that these fibs have that clear intention to deceive which constitutes a complete lie.Children's Ways|James Sully
Knowing by experience that he would soon be up to it, he used his pole with all his might, hoping to steer clear of it.The Giant of the North|R.M. Ballantyne
I am pleading for a clear white light of education that shall go like the sun round the whole world.The Salvaging Of Civilisation|H. G. (Herbert George) Wells
Is the Bible revelation so clear and explicit that no difference of opinion as to its meaning is possible?God and my Neighbour|Robert Blatchford
British Dictionary definitions for clear
- free of suspicion, guilt, or blame
- sport able to receive a pass without being tackled
- (of the weather) to become free from dullness, fog, rain, etc
- (of mist, fog, etc) to disappear
- to achieve transmission of (a signalled message) and acknowledgment of its receipt at its destination
- to decode (a message, etc)
Derived forms of clearclearable, adjectiveclearer, nounclearness, noun
Word Origin for clear
Other Idioms and Phrases with clear
In addition to the idioms beginning with clear
- clear as a bell
- clear as crystal
- clear as mud
- clear away
- clear off
- clear one's name
- clear out
- clear the air
- clear the decks
- clear the table
- clear up
- clear with
- coast is clear
- free and clear
- have a clear conscience
- in the clear
- loud and clear
- out of a clear blue sky
- see one's way (clear)
- steer clear of