- having very little or no light: a dark room.
- radiating, admitting, or reflecting little light: a dark color.
- approaching black in hue: a dark brown.
- not pale or fair; swarthy: a dark complexion.
- brunette; dark-colored: dark eyebrows.
- having brunette hair: She's dark but her children are blond.
- (of coffee) containing only a small amount of milk or cream.
- gloomy; cheerless; dismal: the dark days of World War II.
- sullen; frowning: a dark expression.
- evil; iniquitous; wicked: a dark plot.
- destitute of knowledge or culture; unenlightened.
- hard to understand; obscure.
- hidden; secret.
- silent; reticent.
- (of a theater) offering no performances; closed: The theaters in this town are dark on Sundays.
- (of an l-sound) having back-vowel resonance; situated after a vowel in the same syllable.Compare clear(def 24a).
- (of a speech sound) of dull quality; acoustically damped.
- the absence of light; darkness: I can't see well in the dark.
- night; nightfall: Please come home before dark.
- a dark place.
- a dark color.
- to make dark; darken.
- Obsolete. to grow dark; darken.
- in the dark,
- in ignorance; uninformed: He was in the dark about their plans for the evening.
- in secrecy; concealed; obscure.
- keep dark, to keep as a secret; conceal: They kept their political activities dark.
Origin of dark
SynonymsSee more synonyms for dark on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for dark
He wore white gloves, a dignified long black coat, and matching pants and vest, and he carried a dark walking stick.The Black Man Who Replaced Jefferson Davis in the Senate
January 7, 2015
I thought about the mother, her fear of the dark, of the harm she feared might come to her daughters.I Tried to Warn You About Sleazy Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein in 2003
January 7, 2015
These are dark times for network TV, but experiments like Galavant are the silver lining.‘Galavant’: A Drunken, Horny Musical Fairy Tale
January 5, 2015
Luke Skywalker is an evil robot who has fallen to the dark side of the force.Juiciest ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Rumors (and Some Debunked Ones)
January 3, 2015
Sybil is dead, as is Matthew; Gregson is missing with dark hints about his fate.What Downton’s Fashion Really Means
January 2, 2015
At present it was dark and weather-beaten, and in a general state of neglect.Brave and Bold
Reached camp at the spot arranged an hour after dark, and found all well.
Reached the water at the Two Springs half an hour after dark.
As it was just dark we thought it best to move on a few miles, which we did after dark.
As it was now an hour after dark, I turned them out, and left them to do the best they could.
- having little or no lighta dark street
- (of a colour) reflecting or transmitting little lightdark brown Compare light 1 (def. 29), medium (def. 2)
- (of complexion, hair colour, etc) not fair or blond; swarthy; brunette
- (in combination)dark-eyed
- gloomy or dismal
- sinister; evila dark purpose
- sullen or angrya dark scowl
- ignorant or unenlighteneda dark period in our history
- secret or mysteriouskeep it dark
- phonetics denoting an (l) pronounced with a velar articulation giving back vowel resonance. In English, l is usually dark when final or preconsonantalCompare light 1 (def. 30)
- go dark stock exchange informal (of a company) to remove itself from the register of major exchanges while continuing to trade
- absence of light; darkness
- night or nightfall
- a dark place, patch, or shadow
- a state of ignorance (esp in the phrase in the dark)
- an archaic word for darken
Word Origin and History for dark
Old English deorc "dark, obscure, gloomy; sad, cheerless; sinister, wicked," from Proto-Germanic *derkaz (cf. Old High German tarchanjan "to hide, conceal"). "Absence of light" especially at night is the original meaning. Application to colors is 16c. Theater slang for "closed" is from 1916.
early 13c., from dark (adj.). Figurative in the dark "ignorant" first recorded 1670s.
Idioms and Phrases with dark
In addition to the idioms beginning with dark
- darken someone's door
- dark horse
- in the dark
- keep someone in the dark
- leap in the dark
- shot in the dark
- whistle in the dark