- designed to be clipped on easily, especially by a self-attached clip: a clip-on bow tie.
- a clip-on device, ornament, or the like.
Origin of clip-on
First recorded in 1905–10; adj., noun use of verb phrase clip on
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to attach by means of a clip
- (intr) to be attached by means of a clipthis clips on here
- designed to be attached by means of a clipa clip-on bow tie
- sunglasses designed to be clipped on to a person's spectacles
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for clip on
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper