- a combination or alliance, especially a temporary one between persons, factions, states, etc.
- a union into one body or mass; fusion.
Origin of coalition
Synonyms for coalition
- an alliance or union between groups, factions, or parties, esp for some temporary and specific reason
- (as modifier)a coalition government
- a fusion or merging into one body or mass
Word Origin for coalition
1610s, "the growing together of parts," from French coalition (1540s), from Late Latin coalitus "fellowship," originally past participle of Latin coalescere (see coalesce). First used in a political sense 1715.
An alliance of political groups formed to oppose a common foe or pursue a common goal.