- one of an Asian breed of chickens, resembling the Brahma but slightly smaller.
Origin of cochin
- a former state in SW India; merged with Travancore 1949; a part of Kerala state since 1956.
- former name of Kochi.
Examples from the Web for cochin
Historical Examples of cochin
Finally, as in the case of Cochin, apartments were assigned to him in the Louvre.De Libris: Prose and Verse
We passed Cochin in the course of the day, but not near enough to see much of it.The Last Voyage
Lady (Annie Allnutt) Brassey
She was taken back to Columbo, and thence to Cochin, where she hove down.Tales of Fishes
The largest are the tall Cochin Chinas; the smallest the pert little Bantams.The National Nursery Book
French Cochin China occupies the most southern portion of the peninsula.Four Young Explorers
- a region and former state of SW India: part of Kerala state since 1956
- a port in SW India, on the Malabar Coast: the first European settlement in India, founded by Vasco da Gama in 1502: shipbuilding, engineering. Pop: 596 473 (2001)Local official name: Kochi
- a large breed of domestic fowl, with dense plumage and feathered legs, that originated in Cochin China