- Morris Raphael,1880–1947, U.S. philosopher and educator, born in Russia.
- Octav·us Roy [ok-tav-uh s] /ɒkˈtæv əs/, 1891–1959, U.S. short-story writer and novelist.
- a member of the Jewish priestly class, descended from Aaron, having sacrificial, ministerial, and other sacred functions from Aaronic times to about the 1st century a.d. and now having essentially honorific religious duties and prerogatives.
Origin of Cohen2
Examples from the Web for cohen
Contemporary Examples of cohen
Cohen thinks maybe some economic populism could work, and that could be true in limited circumstances.Dems, It’s Time to Dump Dixie
December 8, 2014
All Cohen needed to do was add “of blessed memory” after each political casualty was mentioned.
The progressive Cohen even sarcastically joked that another congressman was “a communist just like me.”
Like Cohen, many of these casualties were white Democrats from below the Mason-Dixon Line.
This meant that Cohen was one of a handful of white Democrats left in Congress from the South.
Historical Examples of cohen
Cohen fired point-blank three shots, and there was a personal struggle.Blood and Iron
John Hubert Greusel
"I hope it isn't that one about a Mr. Cohen who played poker all night," says she.Torchy As A Pa
I suppose, then, I must let the Cohen (Note 1) know about it.Earl Hubert's Daughter
Emily Sarah Holt
Wife, wouldst thou have the Cohen curse thee in the face of all Israel?One Snowy Night
Emily Sarah Holt
There was no priest (cohen); the presbyter was the "elder," nothing more.
- Leonard. born 1934, Canadian singer, songwriter, and poet; recordings include Songs of Leonard Cohen (1968), Songs of Love and Hate (1971), I'm Your Man (1988), and Ten New Songs (2001)
- Stanley. born 1922, US biochemist: shared the Nobel prize for physiology or medicine 1986
- a variant spelling of Kohen
Jewish surname indicating priestly descent, from Hebrew kohen "priest," from base of kihen "he acted as priest," related to Arabic kahana "he divined, prophesied."
- American biochemist. He shared a 1986 Nobel Prize for the discovery of the epidermal growth factor.