verb (used with object)
- in service.
- in operating order: A great deal of work will be necessary to put this car in commission again.
- Also into commission.Navy. (of a ship) manned and in condition for or ordered to active service.
- not in service: Telephone lines were out of commission for several days after the storm.
- not in operating order: Sorry, but I can't bake cupcakes for you while the stove is out of commission.
Origin of commission
Can be confusedcommission omission
Examples from the Web for commissioned
Was it your wife Helena in the Keane painting you commissioned?
For Big Eyes, you commissioned a pair of songs by Lana Del Rey.
Testino was commissioned to create a unique piece of work inspired by the six pillars that define The Macallan.
I knew only that the hit was commissioned; the man who took the contract was a specialist.
He commissioned singer-songwriter Bob Dorough to set the multiplication tables to a rock music song.Schoolhouse Rock: A Trojan Horse of Knowledge and Power|Jason Lynch|September 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Such were the companions and instructions that Aguado was commissioned to bear to Columbus.
They stand there, and have commissioned and enjoined me to stand there forever; and, so help me God, I will.
I have already mentioned the cadres of commissioned officers.The Russian Turmoil|Anton Ivanovich Denikin
Allah has commissioned me to preach this to men, and to urge them to embrace it.The Story of the Crusades|E. M. Wilmot-Buxton
A third article was then commissioned, and care was taken to secure its 'safety.'History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom|Andrew Dickson White
British Dictionary definitions for commissioned
- a document conferring a rank on an officer
- the rank or authority thereby granted
- the authority given to a person or organization to act as an agent to a principal in commercial transactions
- the fee allotted to an agent for services rendered
Derived Formscommissional or commissionary, adjective
Word Origin for commission
Culture definitions for commissioned
A fee paid to a broker or other financial agent for negotiating a sale. The fee is based on a percentage of the sale price.
Idioms and Phrases with commissioned
see in commission; on commission; out of commission.