verb (used with object)
IS YOUR VOCABULARY AS STRONG AS A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT? TRY THIS QUIZ TO SEE!
Idioms for commission
- in service.
- in operating order: A great deal of work will be necessary to put this car in commission again.
- Also into commission. Navy. (of a ship) manned and in condition for or ordered to active service.
- not in service: Telephone lines were out of commission for several days after the storm.
- not in operating order: Sorry, but I can't bake cupcakes for you while the stove is out of commission.
Origin of commission
OTHER WORDS FROM commission
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH commissioncommission , omission.
Example sentences from the Web for commission
Was it your wife Helena in the Keane painting you commissioned?
For Big Eyes, you commissioned a pair of songs by Lana Del Rey.
Testino was commissioned to create a unique piece of work inspired by the six pillars that define The Macallan.
I knew only that the hit was commissioned; the man who took the contract was a specialist.
He commissioned singer-songwriter Bob Dorough to set the multiplication tables to a rock music song.Schoolhouse Rock: A Trojan Horse of Knowledge and Power|Jason Lynch|September 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Such were the companions and instructions that Aguado was commissioned to bear to Columbus.
They stand there, and have commissioned and enjoined me to stand there forever; and, so help me God, I will.
I have already mentioned the cadres of commissioned officers.The Russian Turmoil|Anton Ivanovich Denikin
Allah has commissioned me to preach this to men, and to urge them to embrace it.The Story of the Crusades|E. M. Wilmot-Buxton
A third article was then commissioned, and care was taken to secure its 'safety.'History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom|Andrew Dickson White
British Dictionary definitions for commission
- a document conferring a rank on an officer
- the rank or authority thereby granted
- the authority given to a person or organization to act as an agent to a principal in commercial transactions
- the fee allotted to an agent for services rendered
Derived forms of commissioncommissional or commissionary, adjective
Word Origin for commission
Cultural definitions for commission
A fee paid to a broker or other financial agent for negotiating a sale. The fee is based on a percentage of the sale price.
Idioms and Phrases with commission
see in commission; on commission; out of commission.