verb (used with object)
VIDEO FOR COMMISSION
WATCH NOW: What Does Working On Commission Mean?
What does it mean to get paid by commission? This man can explain.
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Idioms for commission
- in service.
- in operating order: A great deal of work will be necessary to put this car in commission again.
- Also into commission. Navy. (of a ship) manned and in condition for or ordered to active service.
- not in service: Telephone lines were out of commission for several days after the storm.
- not in operating order: Sorry, but I can't bake cupcakes for you while the stove is out of commission.
Origin of commission
OTHER WORDS FROM commission
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH commissioncommission , omission
Words nearby commission
Example sentences from the Web for commission
“The Commission did not instruct Mr. Wright to approve inaccurate wellbore completion reports,” according to the letter.
Teague and two other commission inspectors would now handle the job, Wright was told.
He worked in the industry for a while, then took a job as a prison guard before being hired by the commission in January 2012.
Our lawyer, Kia Kamran, declined his commission because he knew how much the tour was costing us.
Our awesome booking agency, High Road Touring, takes a commission for booking the tour.
Fox was named first in the commission; but it was agreed that Gardiner should be the real head of the embassy.History of the Reformation in the Sixteenth Century, Volume V|J. H. Merle d'Aubigné
The commission was sent for, and Riel tried to intercept the messenger, but failed to do so.The Remarkable History of the Hudson's Bay Company|George Bryce
Surely the honorable member held a commission in the Clare Fencibles.One Of Them|Charles James Lever
The document heretofore marked for identification as Commission Exhibit No. 1021, was received in evidence.Warren Commission (5 of 26): Hearings Vol. V (of 15)|The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
He then specified the salary and commission to be paid, and engaged Mr. Feldman to draw the deed for the tenement house.Potash & Perlmutter|Montague Glass
British Dictionary definitions for commission
- a document conferring a rank on an officer
- the rank or authority thereby granted
- the authority given to a person or organization to act as an agent to a principal in commercial transactions
- the fee allotted to an agent for services rendered
Derived forms of commissioncommissional or commissionary, adjective
Word Origin for commission
Cultural definitions for commission
A fee paid to a broker or other financial agent for negotiating a sale. The fee is based on a percentage of the sale price.
Idioms and Phrases with commission
see in commission; on commission; out of commission.