- (initial capital letter) a member of the Communist Party or movement.
- an advocate of communism.
- a person who is regarded as supporting politically leftist or subversive causes.
- (usually initial capital letter) a Communard.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to the Communist Party or to Communism.
- pertaining to communists or communism.
Origin of communist
Related Words for communistcomrade, sympathizer, red, Marxist, pinko, Commie, apparatchik, Socialist, Bolshevist, Trotskyite, Bolshevik, Maoist, Stalinist, Leninist
Examples from the Web for communist
Contemporary Examples of communist
When communism was a threat, it was construed as a communist plot.Anti-Fluoriders Are The OG Anti-Vaxxers
July 27, 2016
The Communist Party of China gets a bad rap for cracking down on religion.The Buddhist Business of Poaching Animals for Good Karma
December 28, 2014
Other communist countries that withdrew their films and delegates included East Germany, Cuba, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia.When Countries Lose Their Shit Over American Movies
December 17, 2014
The ISI came to the CIA for assistance in fostering a revolt that had developed in the Afghan countryside against Communist rule.CIA Agents Assess: How Real Is ‘Homeland’?
Chuck Cogan, John MacGaffin
December 15, 2014
The progressive Cohen even sarcastically joked that another congressman was “a communist just like me.”Southern Dems Won’t Rise Again
December 5, 2014
Historical Examples of communist
Godwin was a communist, and so, in some degree, were most of his friends.Shelley, Godwin and Their Circle
H. N. Brailsford
At Paris, later on, he took part in the Communist rising, and was condemned to death.A Zola Dictionary
J. G. Patterson
Introduction to the Communist Manifesto (English edition, 1888).Socialism
It is inaccurate to refer to the eastern part of Germany as "communist Germany."
The Foreign Policy Association is not a communist organization.
- a supporter of any form of communism
- (often capital) a supporter of Communism or a Communist movement or state
- (often capital) a member of a Communist party
- (often capital) US any person holding left-wing views, esp when considered subversive
- a person who practises communal living; communalist
- another name for Communard
- of, characterized by, favouring, or relating to communism; communistic
1841, as both a noun and adjective, from French communiste (see communism). First attested in writing by John Goodwin Barmby (1820-1881), British Owenite and utopian socialist who founded the London Communist Propaganda Society in 1841. Main modern sense emerged after publication of Communist Manifesto ("Manifest der Kommunistischen Partei") in 1848. Shortened form Commie attested from 1940. Related: Communistic.
A supporter of communism.