- a device that transmits or modifies force or motion.
- Also called simple machine . any of six or more elementary mechanisms, as the lever, wheel and axle, pulley, screw, wedge, and inclined plane.
- Also called complex machine . a combination of simple machines.
- an automobile or airplane.
- a typewriter.
verb (used with object), ma·chined, ma·chin·ing.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON AFFECT VS. EFFECT!
Origin of machine
OTHER WORDS FROM machinema·chine·less, adjectivean·ti·ma·chine, adjectiveun·ma·chined, adjective
Example sentences from the Web for machine
The billionaire philanthropist tastes the product of a machine that processes human sewage into drinking water and electricity.
They were the machine gun bullets coming from the ambush when my company got hit.The Story Behind Lee Marvin’s Liberty Valance Smile|Robert Ward|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
“If BMW is ‘the ultimate driving machine,’ your Anthem is the ultimate differentiator,” writes Hogshead.
The resulting Wool Runners were comfortable, eco-friendly, machine-washable, and super cute—and sold out almost immediately.
It was a complex task they were asked to do, and every cultural and experiential advantage would be required.Why Did We Panic After 9/11 and Ignore All We Knew About Responding to Security Threats?|Deborah Pearlstein|December 18, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The controlling leaders being out of gear the machine did not run smoothly: there was nothing but friction and tension.Napoleon's Marshals|R. P. Dunn-Pattison
A little black girl sat on the floor, and with her hands worked the treadle of the machine.
The sewing-machine made a resounding clatter in the room; it was of a ponderous, by-gone make.
The machine penetrated everywhere, thrusting aside with its gigantic arm the feeble efforts of handicraft.The Unsolved Riddle of Social Justice|Stephen Leacock
"I have a letter somewhere," looking in the machine drawer and finding the letter in the bottom of the workbasket.
British Dictionary definitions for machine
- (modifier) denoting a firearm that is fully automatic as distinguished from semiautomatic
- (in combination)machine pistol; machine gun