- the use of a computer to process data or perform calculations.
- the act of calculating or reckoning.
Origin of computing
- to determine by calculation; reckon; calculate: to compute the period of Jupiter's revolution.
- to determine by using a computer or calculator.
- to reckon; calculate.
- to use a computer or calculator.
- Informal. to make sense; add up: His reasons for doing that just don't compute.
- computation: outer space that is vast beyond compute.
Origin of compute
Synonyms for computeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for computinggauge, count, tote, figure, reckon, sum, tally, tot, enumerate, rate, cipher, measure, total
Examples from the Web for computing
Contemporary Examples of computing
In his 1950 paper “Computing Machinery and Intelligence,” Turing asked, “Can machines think?”The AI That Wasn’t: Why ‘Eugene Goostman’ Didn’t Pass the Turing Test
June 10, 2014
Augmented reality has been a staple of science fiction since the dawn of computing.Augmented Reality System Goes From Military to Market
May 27, 2014
A look at what to expect in telecom and computing for the coming year.Top 10 Predictions for Technology in 2014
December 7, 2013
The accelerating power of computing processing underlies much of the progress.Big Idea: The Time for Divided Nations Is Over
August 1, 2013
Sure, it's a billion times more than the first computer had, but it's still not much more than the computing power of a hamster.The Robots Are Coming!
May 14, 2013
Historical Examples of computing
A trace of this appears in our word ciphering, meaning figuring or computing.The Hindu-Arabic Numerals
David Eugene Smith
There are a number of ways or methods of computing this time.The Mother and Her Child
William S. Sadler
Been computing the orbit of the wreckage of the Arcturus around Jupiter.Spacehounds of IPC
Edward Elmer Smith
Why, then, should we refuse to take orders from a computing animal?The Highest Treason
Interfaces affect the nature of practical experiences in computing.The Civilization of Illiteracy
- the activity of using computers and writing programs for them
- the study of computers and their implications
- of or relating to computerscomputing skills
- to calculate (an answer, result, etc), often with the aid of a computer
- calculation; computation (esp in the phrase beyond compute)