- a musical instrument resembling an accordion but having buttonlike keys, hexagonal bellows and ends, and a more limited range.
- concertina wire.
- to fold, crush together, or collapse in the manner of a concertina: The car concertinaed when it hit the truck.
- to cause to fold or collapse in the manner of a concertina.
- of, relating to, or resembling a concertina: concertina pleats.
Origin of concertina
Examples from the Web for concertina
Contemporary Examples of concertina
At a meeting of prominent Zabul women, she casually mentioned that her office needed a higher fence and concertina wire.Afghan Women's Uncertain Future
December 3, 2010
There is concertina barbed wire going up on parts of the border between Bangladesh and India.Al Gore Warms Up
December 9, 2009
Historical Examples of concertina
It was Uncle Ben who played the concertina at the door of his hut in the evening.Roden's Corner
Henry Seton Merriman
The whole thing's like a concertina, and some one jigging it!The Eldest Son (Second Series Plays)
A youth plays the concertina; there is laughter, then an abrupt silence.The Mob (Third Series Plays)
He thinks he'll just swap one of them overcoats for a concertina.Colonel Crockett's Co-operative Christmas
When the man with the concertina came into the light and I saw him clearly I started.Novel Notes
Jerome K. Jerome
- a small hexagonal musical instrument of the reed organ family in which metallic reeds are vibrated by air from a set of bellows operated by the player's hands. Notes are produced by pressing buttons
- (intr) to collapse or fold up like a concertina