- to be made up or composed (usually followed by of): This cake consists mainly of sugar, flour, and butter.
- to be comprised or contained (usually followed by in): Her charm does not consist only in her beauty.
- Archaic. to exist together or be capable of existing together.
- Obsolete. to insist; urge.
- the rolling stock, exclusive of the locomotive, making up a train.
- a record made of this rolling stock.
Origin of consist
Examples from the Web for consisting
Currently, an election “committee” consisting of 1,200 Hongkongers votes for the chief executive.Occupy Hong Kong Hangs On
September 30, 2014
The series began as a personal project, consisting of portraits of fashion models and actors with their mothers.Models and Their Mothers
October 9, 2013
The group, consisting of students from grade six to grade 12, just arrived in New York from India last night for a 10-day trip.New York’s Tourists Are Laughing at Us
October 1, 2013
This could be short-term and (relatively) inexpensive, consisting of cruise missiles fired at military targets.Should We Strike Syria? The Six Best Opinion Columns
August 27, 2013
His paper trail is thin, consisting primarily of more than 90 lawsuits.The Week’s Best Longreads: The Daily Beast Picks for Feb. 11, 2012
February 11, 2012
Pee-wee took his customary eye-opener, consisting of a gumdrop.Pee-wee Harris
Percy Keese Fitzhugh
The pileus is without a cuticle, consisting of interwoven fibres.The Mushroom, Edible and Otherwise
M. E. Hard
The hind teeth, consisting of premolars and molars, are used for grinding.The Meaning of Evolution
Samuel Christian Schmucker
The party was a large one, consisting of five ladies and four gentlemen.Victor's Triumph
Mrs. E. D. E. N. Southworth
A division of cavalry was organized, consisting of two brigades.Personal Recollections of a Cavalryman
J. H. (James Harvey) Kidd
- (foll by of) to be composed (of); be formed (of)syrup consists of sugar and water
- (foll by in or of) to have its existence (in); lie (in); be expressed (by)his religion consists only in going to church
- to be compatible or consistent; accord