- agreeing or accordant; compatible; not self-contradictory: His views and actions are consistent.
- constantly adhering to the same principles, course, form, etc.: a consistent opponent.
- holding firmly together; cohering.
- Archaic. fixed; firm.
Origin of consistent
Synonyms for consistentSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for consistentsteady, persistent, logical, dependable, rational, true, coherent, even, expected, homogeneous, invariable, same, unchanging, unfailing, uniform, unvarying, undeviating, accordant, agreeable, congenial
Examples from the Web for consistent
Contemporary Examples of consistent
The new report is consistent with a great deal of research that has not yet shifted public thinking about alcohol problems.Americans Drink Too Much, But We’re Not All Alcoholics
November 25, 2014
There needs to be an across-the-board, consistent defense of the constitutional separation of powers.Obama’s ISIS War Is Illegal
Sen. Rand Paul
November 10, 2014
A minimum wage is consistent with conservative ideals, for four reasons.To Make Their Victory Durable, the GOP Must Fix the Minimum Wage
November 6, 2014
That vote was consistent with his leadership of the opposition that I saw when I was ambassador.The Bolshevik Who Thinks ‘The Nation’ Is Too Left Wing
October 26, 2014
For example, 47 percent of “consistent conservatives” view Fox News as their main source of information.Pew Study: Americans Are Self-Segregating Amid Proliferating Partisan Media
October 21, 2014
Historical Examples of consistent
The Plautine character is never a consistent human character.The Dramatic Values in Plautus
Wilton Wallace Blancke
In short, when a person is always to deceive, it is impossible to be consistent.
His resolution of leaving Churchhill is consistent with his general eagerness.
If we must have them let us be consistent and give one to the unmarried man.The Devil's Dictionary
His hat was more shiny than was consistent with the hat-manufacturing interest.Henry Dunbar
M. E. Braddon
- showing consistency; not self-contradictory
- (postpositive foll by with) in agreement or harmony; accordant
- steady; evenconsistent growth
- maths (of two or more equations) satisfied by at least one common set of values of the variablesx + y = 4 and x – y = 2 are consistent
- (of a set of statements) capable of all being true at the same time or under the same interpretation
- Also: sound(of a formal system) not permitting the deduction of a contradiction from the axiomsCompare complete (def. 5)
- obsolete stuck together; cohering