[kuh n-tin-yoo-ey-tiv, -uh-tiv]
- tending or serving to continue; causing continuation or prolongation.
- expressing continuance of thought.
- Grammar. expressing a following event. In They arrested a suspect, who gave his name as John Doe, the second clause is continuative.
- Grammar. (of a verbal form or aspect) expressing continuation.
- something continuative.
- Grammar. a continuative word or expression.
Origin of continuative
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- serving or tending to continue
- (of any word, phrase, or clause) expressing continuation
- (of verbs) another word for progressive (def. 8)
- a continuative word, phrase, or clause