- a rolled up or coiled condition.
- a rolling or coiling together.
- a turn of anything coiled; whorl.
- Anatomy. one of the sinuous folds or ridges of the surface of the brain.
Origin of convolution
Synonyms for convolutionSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for convolutionundulation, complexity, contortion, twist, intricacy, winding, gyration, swirl, coil, involution, sinuosity, helix, curlicue, serpentine, snaking
Examples from the Web for convolution
Historical Examples of convolution
Every convolution of those filaments is photographed on my brain.The Destroyer
Burton Egbert Stevenson
Every fibre has its function, every convolution its purpose.How to Become Rich
Every minute convolution had been followed to an incredible point of perfection.The Sword
It would, indeed, seem to be true that folded away in some convolution of our brain are the faculties of the fish and the bird.Number Seventeen
Thus the skull becomes thinner at the site of every active organ, and thicker over every convolution that is inactive.
- a twisting together; a turn, twist, or coil
- an intricate, involved, or confused matter or condition
- Also called: gyrus any of the numerous convex folds or ridges of the surface of the brain
- A form or part that is folded or coiled.
- One of the convex folds of the surface of the brain.