Definition for coring (2 of 2)
- a thickness of wood forming a base for a veneer.
- a wooden construction, as in a door, forming a backing for veneers.
- a thickness of base metal beneath a cladding.
- the softer interior of a piece of casehardened metal.
- a specially formed refractory object inserted into a mold to produce cavities or depressions in the casting that cannot be readily formed on the pattern.
- Also called magnetic core. a small ring or loop of ferromagnetic material with two states of polarization that can be changed by changing the direction of the current applied in wires wound around the ring, used to store one bit of information or to perform switching or logical functions.
- Also called main memory, RAM. a term used to refer to main memory, though no longer made from from coils of ferromagnetic material.
verb (used with object), cored, cor·ing.
Origin of core1
Related formscore·less, adjective
Examples from the Web for coring
With every "this" he had illustrated the virtues of his wares by slicing potatoes, coring apples, opening bottles and cans, etc.Vacation with the Tucker Twins|Nell Speed
Lettie went on with the paring and coring of her applesthen she took the raisins.The White Peacock|D. H. (David Herbert) Lawrence
Prepare apples for pies by paring, coring, and dividing in eighths.Science in the Kitchen.|Mrs. E. E. Kellogg
That lady was making preserves, for which Lucy had been kept since early morning paring and coring apples and stoning plums.Thankful Rest|Annie S. Swan
Wash the apples; cut them in pieces without peeling or coring, but remove any imperfect parts.The Century Cook Book|Mary Ronald
British Dictionary definitions for coring (1 of 2)
n acronym for (in the US)
British Dictionary definitions for coring (2 of 2)
- the central, innermost, or most essential part of somethingthe core of the argument
- (as modifier)the core meaning
- one of several processing units working in parallel in a computer
- a ferrite ring formerly used in a computer memory to store one bit of information
- short for core store
- (as modifier)core memory
Derived Formscoreless, adjective
Word Origin for core
Medicine definitions for coring
Science definitions for coring
Culture definitions for coring
Idioms and Phrases with coring
see rotten to the core.