• synonyms


[verb kawr-uh-geyt, kor-; adjective kawr-uh-git, -geyt, kor-]
See more synonyms for corrugate on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with object), cor·ru·gat·ed, cor·ru·gat·ing.
  1. to draw or bend into folds or alternate furrows and ridges.
  2. to wrinkle, as the skin or face.
  3. Western U.S. to make irrigation ditches in (a field).
Show More
verb (used without object), cor·ru·gat·ed, cor·ru·gat·ing.
  1. to become corrugated; undergo corrugation.
Show More
  1. corrugated; wrinkled; furrowed.
Show More

Origin of corrugate

1375–1425; late Middle English < Latin corrūgātus past participle of corrūgāre, equivalent to cor- cor- + rūg(āre) to wrinkle + -ātus -ate1
Related formscor·ru·gat·ed, adjectivecor·ru·ga·tor, nounun·cor·ru·gat·ed, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018

Related Words for corrugate

scrunch, rumple, pucker, crease, crumple, crinkle, wrinkle, pleat, curl, crimp, knit, bend, tuck, crisp, compress, gather, purse, twist, ruck, seam

Examples from the Web for corrugate

Historical Examples of corrugate

  • Flutes, 72 four inches deep, corrugate the beast's underpart from tail to neck.

    Seven Legs Across the Seas

    Samuel Murray

  • However, "broad-browed Verulam," let not that brow's breadth cloud or corrugate in vexation at my persiflage.

  • Yet we had watched his smooth brow furrow and corrugate as under some carking care or devouring sorrow.

British Dictionary definitions for corrugate


verb (ˈkɒrʊˌɡeɪt)
  1. (usually tr) to fold or be folded into alternate furrows and ridges
Show More
adjective (ˈkɒrʊɡɪt, -ˌɡeɪt)
  1. folded into furrows and ridges; wrinkled
Show More
Derived Formscorrugation, noun

Word Origin for corrugate

C18: from Latin corrūgāre, from rūga a wrinkle
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for corrugate


1620s; implied earlier as a past participle adjective (early 15c.), from Latin corrugatus, past participle of corrugare "to wrinkle very much," from com-, intensive prefix (see com-), + rugare "to wrinkle," of unknown origin.

Show More
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper