• synonyms


[verb kawr-uh-geyt, kor-; adjective kawr-uh-git, -geyt, kor-]
verb (used with object), cor·ru·gat·ed, cor·ru·gat·ing.
  1. to draw or bend into folds or alternate furrows and ridges.
  2. to wrinkle, as the skin or face.
  3. Western U.S. to make irrigation ditches in (a field).
Show More
verb (used without object), cor·ru·gat·ed, cor·ru·gat·ing.
  1. to become corrugated; undergo corrugation.
Show More
  1. corrugated; wrinkled; furrowed.
Show More

Origin of corrugate

1375–1425; late Middle English < Latin corrūgātus past participle of corrūgāre, equivalent to cor- cor- + rūg(āre) to wrinkle + -ātus -ate1
Related formscor·ru·gat·ed, adjectivecor·ru·ga·tor, nounun·cor·ru·gat·ed, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018

British Dictionary definitions for corrugator


  1. a muscle whose contraction causes wrinkling of the brow
Show More


verb (ˈkɒrʊˌɡeɪt)
  1. (usually tr) to fold or be folded into alternate furrows and ridges
Show More
adjective (ˈkɒrʊɡɪt, -ˌɡeɪt)
  1. folded into furrows and ridges; wrinkled
Show More
Derived Formscorrugation, noun

Word Origin for corrugate

C18: from Latin corrūgāre, from rūga a wrinkle
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012

Word Origin and History for corrugator



1620s; implied earlier as a past participle adjective (early 15c.), from Latin corrugatus, past participle of corrugare "to wrinkle very much," from com-, intensive prefix (see com-), + rugare "to wrinkle," of unknown origin.

Show More
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

corrugator in Medicine


  1. A muscle that draws the skin together, causing it to wrinkle.
Show More
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.