- a rib or riblike part.
- the midrib of a leaf in mosses.
- a ridge.
- Also called costal vein.a vein, usually marginal, in the anterior portion of the wing of certain insects.
- Also called costal margin.the anterior edge or border of the wing of certain insects.
Origin of costa
- Lú·cio [loo-syoo] /ˈlu syu/, 1902–98, Brazilian architect, chief designer of Brasilia.
Examples from the Web for costa
President of Costa Rica Oscar Arias laid a calming hand on 1980s El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, and Panama.Up To A Point: What We Really Need Is a Nobel War Prize
P. J. O’Rourke
October 11, 2014
But Switzerland, New Zealand, and Costa Rica cannot hold back the New Chaos.Is Democracy Doomed Abroad?
August 31, 2014
And Costa Rica, for a host of historical reasons, has always been more stable than its neighbors.From Texas to Gaza, Reaping What We Sow
August 1, 2014
None of this is to say that the wreck and salvage of the Costa Concordia should have received less attention.
I have covered the Costa Concordia since it ran aground in 2012, and I have covered many migrant shipwrecks in Italy, too.
Costa, who was present, answered in Spanish that he wrote it.The Memoires of Casanova, Complete
Jacques Casanova de Seingalt
Consequently when he disappeared from Costa Rica there was a hue and cry.
He finally got permission from Costa Rica to establish his experimental station.Secret Armies
John L. Spivak
Only as he eased the door did he understand why Costa had been so positive about this.
"And Himmel has a positive one that stays positive," Costa said.
- the technical name for rib 1 (def. 1)
- a riblike part, such as the midrib of a plant leaf
Word Origin and History for costa
Spanish costa "coast," from same Latin source as English coast (n.). Used in Britain from 1960s in jocular formations (costa geriatrica, costa del crime, etc.) in imitation of the names of Spanish tourist destinations.
- A rodlike internal supporting organelle that runs along the base of the undulating membrane of certain flagellate parasites.basal rod
- A rib or a riblike part, such as the midrib of a leaf or a thickened anterior vein or margin of an insect's wing.