- the act or practice of calling public attention to one's product, service, need, etc., especially by paid announcements in newspapers and magazines, over radio or television, on billboards, etc.: to get more customers by advertising.
- paid announcements; advertisements.
- the profession of planning, designing, and writing advertisements.
Origin of advertising
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
sometimes US advertizing
- the promotion of goods or services for sale through impersonal media, such as radio or television
- the business that specializes in creating such publicity
- advertisements collectively; publicity