- Military. a mine intended to intercept or destroy an enemy mine.
- a counterplot.
- to oppose by a countermine.
- to make a countermine.
- Military. to intercept or destroy enemy mines.
Origin of countermine
Related Words for countermineplot, sedition, scheme, treason, league, fix, cabal, trickery, hookup, frame, practice, connivance, intrigue, trick, game, perfidy, disloyalty, treachery, machination, confederacy
Examples from the Web for countermine
Historical Examples of countermine
They mine and countermine, until it isn't safe to predict who is immune and who isn't.The Brentons
Anna Chapin Ray
Countermine:—As before, but moored 29-1/4' below the surface.Torpedoes and Torpedo Warfare
C. W. Sleeman
It is not an easy matter to decide just where the countermine should be sunk or how far to go.Training for the Trenches
I know where the mine is to be sprung; and I will countermine!'
They mine and countermine expeditiously in the Channel Fleet.A Fleet in Being
- military a tunnel dug to defeat similar activities by an enemy
- a plot to frustrate another plot
- to frustrate by countermeasures
- military to take measures to defeat the underground operations of (an enemy)
- military to destroy enemy mines in (an area) with mines of one's own