- Also called impact crater, meteorite crater . a large bowl-shaped depression on the surface of the earth or other heavenly body, formed by the impact of a meteorite.Compare astrobleme.
- a similar depression or cavity that forms the opening of a volcano or geyser. The volcanic activity that creates such craters occurs on the surface of the earth as well as a number of other heavenly bodies.
verb (used with object)
- to cancel, abandon, or cast aside: to crater the new project.
- to destroy or ruin: One more disappointment won't crater me.
- to collapse, plunge, or fail suddenly; crash: The company’s stock has cratered 35% this year.
verb (used without object)
QUIZ YOURSELF ON THESE WORDS FROM BROWN GIRL DREAMING!
Origin of crater
OTHER WORDS FROM cratercra·ter·al, cra·ter·ous, adjectivecra·ter·like, adjectivein·ter·cra·ter, adjective
Words nearby crater
Definition for crater (2 of 2)
Example sentences from the Web for crater
He scrambled outside to find a 25-foot-wide crater just beyond the mud wall surrounding his family compound.The Dangerous Drug-Funded Secret War Between Iran and Pakistan|Umar Farooq|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In this crater, frail silhouettes, women for the most part, bend to dig with their bare hands in the rubble.
Interest rates will soar, home values will plummet, stock markets will crash, and global economies will crater.
Their hydrogen sulfide plant blew a crater in the ground a year ago.13 Revelations From Reddit’s ‘Dirty Little Secret’ Thread Exposing Alleged Industry Secrets|Nina Strochlic|August 23, 2013|DAILY BEAST
The letter to Clinton quotes one source who described the crater as “big enough for forty men to go through.”U.S. Consulate in Benghazi Bombed Twice in Run-Up to 9/11 Anniversary|Eli Lake|October 2, 2012|DAILY BEAST
Our young couple did not visit the crater and the Summit until the sun had lost most of its power.The Crater|James Fenimore Cooper
There is nothing with which to compare the near-by blue looked sharply down upon from Crater's rim.The Book of the National Parks|Robert Sterling Yard
This island, like Tahiti, showed traces of earlier volcanic eruptions, and the summit of one of its hills resembled a crater.Celebrated Travels and Travellers|Jules Verne
The two small craters lay in advance of our trench well under the dominance of German ground and of the rim of Crater 5.Canada in Flanders, Volume II (of 3)|Lord Max Aitken Beaverbrook
Then, searching the darkening surface of the crater wall, he found no trace of the two who had ridden away.Louisiana Lou|William West Winter