- any reptile of the order Crocodylia, comprising the true crocodiles and the alligators, caimans, and gavials.
- of, like, or pertaining to a crocodile.
- hypocritical; insincere.
Origin of crocodilian
Examples from the Web for crocodilian
Historical Examples of crocodilian
The tail and hindquarters, however, proclaim the crocodilian original.Evolution in Art
Alfred C. Haddon
Perhaps it shows a modification towards the crocodilian direction.Dragons of the Air
H. G. Seeley
The three men stood silent and tense as the two crocodilian monsters stopped before them.
And beside the dais was a figure between two crocodilian guards at sight of whom Randall forgot all else.
Honey for bait, great steel traps with crocodilian jaws, and guns there were in the outfit.Monarch, The Big Bear of Tallac
Ernest Thompson Seton
- any large predatory reptile of the order Crocodilia, which includes the crocodiles, alligators, and caymans. They live in or near water and have a long broad snout, powerful jaws, a four-chambered heart, and socketed teeth
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Crocodilia
- of, relating to, or resembling a crocodile
- Any of various semiaquatic reptiles of the order Crocodilia, including the alligators, crocodiles, caimans, and gavials. Crocodilians are squat, massive, and lizardlike, with long, powerful jaws, long, heavy tails, short legs, and thick, plated skin. Like dinosaurs, crocodilians are archosaurs, and their closest modern relatives are the birds.