- the act of crossing over in style, usually with the intention of broadening the commercial appeal to a wider audience.
- music that crosses over in style, occasionally sharing attributes with several musical styles and therefore often appealing to a broader audience.
- a step in which dancers exchange places.
- a step involving partners in which the woman moves from one side of her partner to the other, crossing in front of him.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON AFFECT VS. EFFECT!
Origin of crossover
Example sentences from the Web for crossover
They are always suspended over a precipice, dangling by a slender thread that shows every sign of snapping.
And now, similarly, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee: "Bend over and take it like a prisoner!"Huckabee 2016: Bend Over and Take It Like a Prisoner!|Olivia Nuzzi|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Perhaps on his own nowadays, Epstein is trying his best to webmaster over a dozen URLs.Sleazy Billionaire’s Double Life Featured Beach Parties With Stephen Hawking|M.L. Nestel|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But yes, I pictured a James Bond-type just sauntering over to her.‘Archer’ Creator Adam Reed Spills Season 6 Secrets, From Surreal Plotlines to Life Post-ISIS|Marlow Stern|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The debate over who really pulled off the Sony hack, then, could continue indefinitely.
It is most peculiar, and when he plays that way, the most bewitching little expression comes over his face.Music-Study in Germany|Amy Fay
All over the world the just claims of organized labor are intermingled with the underground conspiracy of social revolution.The Unsolved Riddle of Social Justice|Stephen Leacock
After we had passed over this desert, we found several garisons to defend the caravans from the violence of the Tartars.
After relievedly giving the pistol to the nearest soldier, he stumbled quickly over to Brion and took his hand.Sense of Obligation|Henry Maxwell Dempsey (AKA Harry Harrison)
Solely over one man therein thou hast quite absolute control.Pearls of Thought|Maturin M. Ballou
British Dictionary definitions for crossover
- another term for crossing over
- a chromosomal structure or character resulting from crossing over
Idioms and Phrases with crossover
Change from one field or affiliation to another, as in Graham Greene crossed over from the Anglican to the Roman Catholic Church, or If he doesn't run I'm going to cross over to the Democratic Party. [First half of 1900s]
Also, cross over to the other side. Die, as in It's a year since my grandmother crossed over to the other side. [c. 1930]