verb (used with object), trav·ersed, trav·ers·ing.
- (in the law of pleading) to deny formally (an allegation of fact set forth in a previous pleading).
- to join issue upon.
verb (used without object), trav·ersed, trav·ers·ing.
- the zigzag track of a vessel compelled by contrary winds or currents to sail on different courses.
- each of the runs in a single direction made in such sailing.
- a defensive barrier, parapet, or the like, placed transversely.
- a defensive barrier thrown across the terreplein or the covered way of a fortification to protect it from enfilade fire.
- the motion of a lathe tool or grinding wheel along a piece of work.
- a part moving along a piece of work in this way, as the carriage of a lathe.
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of traverse
OTHER WORDS FROM traverse
Words nearby traverse
Example sentences from the Web for traverse
He was known to traverse Brooklyn to visit somebody a decade older than himself in a nursing home.How Brooklyn’s First Ice Cream Girl Fought City Hall–and Won|Michael Daly|October 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The heat makes beads of sweat run down your armpits and traverse your hips before dampening your drawers.Whatever You Do Someone Will Die. A Short Story About Impossible Choices in Iraq|Nathan Bradley Bethea|August 31, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Extend your Fourth of July vacation with a trip to Traverse City, also known as the “cherry capital of the world.”
Elizabeth Banks stars as a woman who has to traverse a city after losing her wallet post-one-night stand.Why We Need to Stop Using the Phrase ‘Walk of Shame’|Amanda Marcotte|May 1, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Maps are enormous, and players have to traverse huge amounts of terrain.‘Killzone: Shadow Fall’ Review: Oh My God, This PlayStation 4 Game Is Beautiful|Alec Kubas-Meyer|November 19, 2013|DAILY BEAST
We have a long and very dreary tract to traverse before we reach the Gariep—three hundred miles and more, I should think.Hair-Breadth Escapes|H.C. Adams
The very cats of the Convent could not traverse its grounds more silently.Gwen Wynn|Mayne Reid
Horizontally, the head and body traverse an arc of about 100°; vertically, they traverse an arc slightly less than 180°.Natural History of the Bell Vireo, Vireo bellii Audubon|Jon C. Barlow
In one night they had traveled a distance coming back that required two days and nights to traverse in the other direction.The Wonder Island Boys: The Mysteries of the Caverns|Roger Thompson Finlay
But they made their escape on the way down to Traverse des Sioux.Mary and I|Stephen Return Riggs