verb (used with object), trav·ersed, trav·ers·ing.
- (in the law of pleading) to deny formally (an allegation of fact set forth in a previous pleading).
- to join issue upon.
verb (used without object), trav·ersed, trav·ers·ing.
- the zigzag track of a vessel compelled by contrary winds or currents to sail on different courses.
- each of the runs in a single direction made in such sailing.
- a defensive barrier, parapet, or the like, placed transversely.
- a defensive barrier thrown across the terreplein or the covered way of a fortification to protect it from enfilade fire.
- the motion of a lathe tool or grinding wheel along a piece of work.
- a part moving along a piece of work in this way, as the carriage of a lathe.
Words nearby traverse
Origin of traverse
OTHER WORDS FROM traverse
Examples from the Web for traverse
He was known to traverse Brooklyn to visit somebody a decade older than himself in a nursing home.How Brooklyn’s First Ice Cream Girl Fought City Hall–and Won|Michael Daly|October 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The heat makes beads of sweat run down your armpits and traverse your hips before dampening your drawers.Whatever You Do Someone Will Die. A Short Story About Impossible Choices in Iraq|Nathan Bradley Bethea|August 31, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Extend your Fourth of July vacation with a trip to Traverse City, also known as the “cherry capital of the world.”
Elizabeth Banks stars as a woman who has to traverse a city after losing her wallet post-one-night stand.Why We Need to Stop Using the Phrase ‘Walk of Shame’|Amanda Marcotte|May 1, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Maps are enormous, and players have to traverse huge amounts of terrain.‘Killzone: Shadow Fall’ Review: Oh My God, This PlayStation 4 Game Is Beautiful|Alec Kubas-Meyer|November 19, 2013|DAILY BEAST
We have a long and very dreary tract to traverse before we reach the Gariep—three hundred miles and more, I should think.Hair-Breadth Escapes|H.C. Adams
The very cats of the Convent could not traverse its grounds more silently.Gwen Wynn|Mayne Reid
Horizontally, the head and body traverse an arc of about 100°; vertically, they traverse an arc slightly less than 180°.Natural History of the Bell Vireo, Vireo bellii Audubon|Jon C. Barlow
In one night they had traveled a distance coming back that required two days and nights to traverse in the other direction.The Wonder Island Boys: The Mysteries of the Caverns|Roger Thompson Finlay
But they made their escape on the way down to Traverse des Sioux.Mary and I|Stephen Return Riggs