- any plant of the genus Ranunculus, especially one with divided leaves suggestive of a crow's foot; buttercup.
- any of various other plants with leaves or other parts suggestive of a bird's foot, as certain species of the genus Geranium.
- caltrop(def 1).
- Nautical. an arrangement of several bridlelike ropes rove through a suspended euphroe to support the backbone of an awning at a number of points.
- Movies, Television. a three-legged device placed under a tripod to keep the camera from slipping.
- (on an architectural or engineering drawing) a V-shaped mark the apex of which is a reference point.
Origin of crowfoot
- Usually crow's-feet. any of the tiny wrinkles at the outer corners of the eyes resulting from age or constant squinting.
- Aeronautics. an arrangement of ropes in which one main rope exerts pull at several points simultaneously through a group of smaller ropes, as in balloon or airship rigging.
- (in tailoring) a three-pointed embroidered design used as a finish, as at the end of a seam or opening.
- crowfoot(def 1).
Origin of crow's-foot
1350–1400; Middle English; so called because likened to a crow's foot or footprint
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for crowfoot
He led by a hundred yards, and Crowfoot's gray kept his stride.
Crowfoot, Bader, and Gray had been running for the stables with the rest.
“No doubt about it,” he answered, and he hailed Captain Bingley and Crowfoot.The Mate of the Lily
W. H. G. Kingston
Crowfoot took his cue quickly enough, for I saw him scamper.
All the while Crowfoot was guarded by men with drawn and ready weapons.
- any of several plants of the genus Ranunculus, such as R. sceleratus and R. aquatilis (water crowfoot) that have yellow or white flowers and divided leaves resembling the foot of a crowSee also buttercup
- any of various other plants that have leaves or other parts resembling a bird's foot
- plural -feet nautical a bridle-like arrangement of lines rove through a wooden block or attached to a ring for supporting an awning from above
- plural -feet military another name for caltrop
- (often plural) a wrinkle at the outer corner of the eye
- an embroidery stitch with three points, used esp as a finishing at the end of a seam
- a system of diverging short ropes to distribute the pull of a single rope, used esp in balloon and airship riggings