[kruhmp, kroo mp]
- to crunch or make a crunching sound, as with the teeth.
- (of an artillery shell) to land and explode with a heavy, muffled sound.
- to make a crunching sound, as in walking over snow, or as snow when trodden on.
- a crunching sound.
- a large explosive shell or bomb.
- Also called bump. Mining. a sudden ground movement in underground workings.
Origin of crump
First recorded in 1640–50; imitative
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for crump
But as the righteous Crump machine gained power, the street slowly began to change.Stanley Booth on the Life and Hard Times of Blues Genius Furry Lewis
June 7, 2014
“Trayvon Martin had every right to stand his ground,” Crump said.New Account: Zimmerman Told Cops Trayvon’s Last Words Were ‘Okay, You Got It’
April 19, 2012
Asked if potential unrest in Sanford or elsewhere is a concern for the Martin family or their legal team, Crump says it is not.Sanford Frets About Prospect of Riots Over Trayvon Martin Killing
March 30, 2012
In August, Crump was convicted of mail and wire fraud by a federal jury in Los Angeles.
Before the body was sent to the crematorium, Shilling and Crump filled the casket with animal bones, meat, and a mannequin.
His mother had to get out of bed to open the door when Mrs. Crump knocked.At the Back of the North Wind
I had not gone far when a "crump" struck so close as to stun and partly bury me.The Emma Gees
Herbert Wes McBride
"Yes," said Mrs. Crump, rather feebly, fearful of what was to come.The Hindered Hand
Sutton E. Griggs
I'm not riding in my coach-and-four yet, as you see, Crump, but the time may come.
"I am not near enough to see any changes yet, Crump," I answered him.
- (intr) to thud or explode with a loud dull sound
- (tr) to bombard with heavy shells
- a crunching, thudding, or exploding noise
C17: of imitative origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012