- any chiefly aquatic arthropod of the class Crustacea, typically having the body covered with a hard shell or crust, including the lobsters, shrimps, crabs, barnacles, and wood lice.
- belonging or pertaining to the crustaceans.
Origin of crustacean
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for crustacean
Here are four secrets to bring your crustacean habit to a new level.Four Things You Didn't Know About Shrimp
June 24, 2009
“This is a magnificent specimen of the crustacean period,” he declared.'Me-Smith'
This crustacean tube a thousand feet long solved the matter.James Watt
Its punishment was simply that it was a Sacculina—that it was a Sacculina when it might have been a Crustacean.Natural Law in the Spiritual World
Nature has willed that the Crustacean should not long remain an invalid.
Crabs and lobsters may be regarded as the chiefs or lords of the Crustacean tribes.
- any arthropod of the mainly aquatic class Crustacea, typically having a carapace hardened with lime and including the lobsters, crabs, shrimps, woodlice, barnacles, copepods, and water fleas
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Crustacea
C19: from New Latin crūstāceus hard-shelled, from Latin crūsta shell, crust
Word Origin and History for crustacean
1835, from Crustacea the class name. As an adjective, 1858 (earlier was crustaceous, 1640s).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Any of various widespread arthropods of the class Crustacea that live mostly in water and have a hard shell, a segmented body, and jointed appendages. Crustaceans include crabs, lobsters, shrimp, barnacles, and copepods.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Crabs, lobsters, shrimp, and crayfish are crustaceans.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.