- (used with a singular or plural verb) duties imposed by law on imported or, less commonly, exported goods.
- (used with a singular verb) the government department that collects these duties.
- (used with a singular verb) the section of an airport, station, etc., where baggage is checked for contraband and for goods subject to duty.
Words nearby custom
Origin of custom
synonym study for custom
Examples from the Web for customs
“Times, people, and places have changed, along with different lifestyles and customs,” Maria says.How Brooklyn’s First Ice Cream Girl Fought City Hall–and Won|Michael Daly|October 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“The acts [are] at odds with morality and customs that are penalized by Dominican laws,” the letter also read.Miley Cyrus Goes To War Against the Dominican Republic Government|Asawin Suebsaeng|September 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The aircraft stops once to clear South African customs, then flies on to Botswana.
Customs and Border Protection would prefer the term “humanitarian campaign.”The Government Is Using Subliminal Songs To Scare Immigrants|Caitlin Dickson|July 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The customs officials insisted that he submit to fingerprinting before he was allowed to board his connecting flight.
How absurd would it be then to argue against the existence of customs or facts, from the silence of such scanty records as these!Reliques of Ancient English Poetry, Volume I (of 3)|Thomas Percy
Leslie describes George I. as altogether ignorant of our language, laws, customs and constitution.The Impeachment of The House of Brunswick|Charles Bradlaugh
The Beltane customs seem to have been the same as elsewhere.Balder The Beautiful, Vol. I.|Sir James George Frazer
I begin now to comprehend your disdain of customs which impose chains so idly galling on the liberty of our sex.The Parisians, Complete|Edward Bulwer-Lytton
The king then appointed commissioners to visit the district and promulgate the customs on the spot.
British Dictionary definitions for customs (1 of 2)
noun (functioning as singular or plural)
British Dictionary definitions for customs (2 of 2)
- a practice which by long-established usage has come to have the force of law
- such practices collectively (esp in the phrase custom and practice)